Re: Exmh, nmh & decoding of headers.

1998-09-01 18:14:45
For a while now, I've been using the nmh 'decode' feature in my
format-files, instead of my former solution which was to pipe
all mail through mimedecode, and store it as 8-bit.

It's working rather well, but I've noticed that when I compose
messages in exmh (sedit) with headers that contain multiple words with
characters that need to be encoded, the resulting header-string will be
decoded by nmh scans as one (rather longish) word.

So, does anyone know if I should start tweaking at exmh or nmh?
I'm guessing that exmh uses an older RFC as base for how it encodes
headers that need encoding, but I'm not deep enough into this yet...

I believe the bug is in exmh, not nmh.

The RFC2047 says that when decoding, you should ignore whitespace
between encoded words.  Exmh doesn't handle this correctly.  I can
understand, since it took me a long time to get this to work
correctly in nmh.

So if you have whitespace, it must be INSIDE of one of the encoded
words, or it will be removed upon decoding by nmh.

Check RFC2047.  It is pretty clear on this matter.

--
Richard Coleman
coleman(_at_)math(_dot_)gatech(_dot_)edu