Re: Searching messages (other than 'grep' and 'pick')

1998-09-02 10:35:11
Jay Sekora <js(_at_)aq(_dot_)org> wrote:

How 'bout hard-linking each message into a directory (outside your
MH directory) named after the Message-ID?  Then you'd be guaranteed
unique names that wouldn't ever change, you wouldn't use noticeably
more space, and you could find any message quickly by Message-ID.
(And you could run your indexing on only the new files in that directory.)

Isn't that somewhat similar to what qmail does for its folder format? I wonder
if nmh could be mangled in the direction of having static filenames for the
message files that stay unique for the lifetime of a message.  Then, the
normal message numbering that we're used to could be imposed by putting a
"view" on top of those files.  The commands would generally present the
message numbers from a "default view", but you could specify others.  That
way, you could "sort" a folder in multiple ways simultaneously by specifying
alternate named "views" (like existing named "sequences", but they specify a
mapping of number to message instead of just a set of messages).

???
--
Scott Blachowicz
sab(_at_)seanet(_dot_)com