Re: POP3 handling of long lines (patch)

2002-11-05 16:30:05
    Date:        Mon, 04 Nov 2002 16:49:58 +0000
    From:        Nick Barnes <Nick(_dot_)Barnes(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>

  | I use NMH 1.0.4_1 on FreeBSD, reading mail using POP3.  I am unable to
  | collect messages containing very long lines (greater than 1K
  | characters).

While it would be good if nmh had no such limitations, messages like
that are absolutely not conforming, and how they're treated is
largely up to the implementation.  No-one should be expecting a message
with a line that long to be delivered correctly.

See Section 2.1.1 of rfc2822

   There are two limits that this standard places on the number of
   characters in a line. Each line of characters MUST be no more than
   998 characters, and SHOULD be no more than 78 characters, excluding
   the CRLF.

1K > 998 (regardless of whether the 1K included the CRLF or not).

kre

ps: I have absolutely no idea if there will ever be a new nmh release, or
if anyone really still cares (and is able) to make cvs commits, I know I
can't.   But you're certainly not the last MH user around!