Re: A semi-annual poke about progress

2003-06-02 16:30:05
On Monday 02 June 2003 04:40 pm, you wrote:
Hi.  Seems like we've had a 1.1 release candidate sitting for a long
time.  Can we make it a release yet?  It would be nice to have something
newer than 1.0.4 going into things like Linux distributions.

Hm, well ... how about everyone (including me) makes sure what's on the
1.1 branch compiles on all of the major platforms that they have access
to, and if the answer is "yes", then we call the head of the 1.1 branch
"1.1 final" ?

--Ken

A quick check:

SunOS (yes, I run a department of Computer Antiquities) fails, many functions
                                missing from the libraries (strerror,
vnsprintf, snprintf).
                                I suggest that this be ignored.

Mandrake Linux 8.1 - no problems (and I've been using it since Aug 2002).
Mandrake Linux 9.1 - the ndbm.h file has been moved to /usr/include/gdbm,
                                 so the compile of slocal.c bombs; the link of
slocal
                                 needs -lgdbm added.  No other problems after
correcting
                                 location of include files and referencing the
library.
                                 This should be able to be fixed in the
configure script.
Solaris 8                 - test for broken 'vi' hangs in execution of 'ex',

                                 when package  SMCvim (vim-6.0-sol8-sparc-local)
                                 from SunFreeware is installed.  Required
installation
                                 of autoconf-2.13 and m4-1.4 for make to start.
                                 Compiles until the 'man' directory, and then:

make: Fatal error in reader: Makefile, line 75: Unexpected end of line seen
Current working directory /export/home/glenn/nmh-1.1-RC1/man

15 secs of looking at line 75 of the makefile doesn't reveal much to me:
        MAN5 := $(MAN5SRC:.=.$(manext5))

Do I have to test it on all these platforms, too?  (just kidding...)

You have waited to long to release this stuff.  Now we have to fix it...

Clues on what the test for 'broken vi' does are solicited.