Re: Solaris 'vim' configure bug

2003-06-05 16:30:09
On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 06:52:17PM -0400, Glenn Burkhardt wrote:

After thinking about this on my drive home, it seems simpliest to eliminate
the 2>&1 at the end of the line.  It looks like almost all 'vi' versions
write messages to stdout, not stdin.  And if they don't, the downside is that
there's a funny message that comes out during 'configure'.

I've checked this now with SunOS 'vi' (very old, BSD derivative), 'vim' (which
is probably what all Linux, FreeBSD, and NetBSD systems use), and
Solaris 'vi' (probably as generically System V as Sun can make it).

NetBSD uses 'nvi', and works with no "2>&1".  I _think_ FreeBSD and OpenBSD
use 'nvi' too.

Simon.
--
Simon Burge