patches for Solaris 8 and Mandrake 9.1

2003-06-08 18:30:05
Attached is a patch for the problems I found with Solaris 8 and Mandrake 9.1

I've been trying to get a GNU Savannah login, but it looks like they are down
tonight.

It turns out that there are two database packages available with the Mandrake
distribution that support 'ndbm' calls:  db1 (derived from Berkeley code), and
GNU gdbm.  I've used the gdbm versions of the ndbm calls for years, with no
trouble.  I can't remember which one got linked in with nmh when I built it
last year.  I think that it's a safe bet that either will work.

The 'configure.in' script will test for libdbm.a, libdb1.a, and libgdbm.a, in
that order, and pull 'ndbm.h' from /usr/include/db1 or /usr/include/gdbm.

I've chosen to remove diversion of standard error to /dev/null for the
"broken vi" test, so Solaris systems with 'vim' installed don't hang.

Since the variables used in the definition of MAN1, et al, in man/Makefile
don't get changed after the definition, I don't believe that there's any harm
in changing ":=" to "=", which allows the makefile to work with Solaris make
and GNU make.

The patch gets applied with "patch -b -p1 < misc-build.patch", so
man/Makefile.in gets changed, not the top level Makefile.in.

So if you could, please apply these patches and make an RC2 for folks to
try out.

Thanks.