Re: [Nmh-workers] File upload frustration

2004-02-02 18:30:15
Scott Schwartz <schwartz(_at_)bio(_dot_)cse(_dot_)psu(_dot_)edu> wrote on Feb
2, 2004:

| Return-Path isn't - that's only intended for mail delivery, messages should
| never contain one of those until they're being delivered (and anyone who
| believes they should should thank any mailer that corrects them).

Letting users supply return-path is both reasonable and necessary.

It is both unnecessary and broken.

On the one hand, your MTA is in charge of checking the input (because any
user can talk directly to it.)  Mine (qmail) does, and so anything my MUA
(MH) does is at best redundant.  But in this case MH is actively causing
problems, because it isn't enforcing the correct rules.  qmail uses
user-supplied return-path to set the envelope sender on outgoing messages
(and removes the return-path header from the message.)  That's perfectly

nmh normally submits a message using smtp.

If qmail receives a message with smtp, and still sets the envelope
sender from the "Return-Path:", then qmail is broken.

We should not change nmh to make a special case that depends on
a particular broken MTA (if qmail is that broken).

If you really want to do something special, you can define your own
"postproc:" in your .mh_profile .  It could even be a shell script.
Use that to munge things for special purposes.  It doesn't belong in
the base code of nmh.

                         I use it all the time to convince mailing list
software that checks the envelope that I'm posting from the address they
have on file, for example.  Similarly, if I complain about a spammer,
I want my role account information to appear in the message, not any
personal data that MH decides the spammer ought to know.

I manage to do this with the masquerading facilities already
present.

 -NWR