Re: [Nmh-workers] File upload frustration

2004-02-03 07:30:06
I believe Neil really meant to say that nmh can _only_ submit a message
using SMTP.  Even when it's piping to sendmail, it's not using -t, it's
using -bs and speaking SMTP.  The workstation doesn't have to listen on
port 25 in that case, obviously.  This is assuming that you haven't
changed nmh to use -t (if you did, hey, that's fine ... I just want to
be sure we're talking about the same thing).

That's not quite correct.  If you use "spost" for your postproc",
then it will use "sendmail -t" or something similar.  But "spost" is
certainly not the normal way of doing things.  The default is, as you
say, to invoke "sendmail -bs" and talk smtp over stdio, or to talk
smtp to localhost (depends on a configuration choice).

Ahh, I always forget about that.  But it would be easy to add the
functionality to add a "-f" option; that would work for sendmail
and any sendmail-compatible MTS.

I'm just not happy with the overloading of an existing header.

Why a header, rather than an environment setting?

Well ... I have no real attachment to a header.  That's was more of a
suggestion.  It occurs to me that you might want to change it on a
per-message basis.  So maybe an environment variable, and a header
to override it.