[Nmh-workers] Re: Questionable code - the bigger picture

2005-05-17 22:13:12
Jerry Peek <jpeek(_at_)jpeek(_dot_)com> writes:

For the long term: I've never written architecture documentation
before.   How difficult would it be to write one and add to it as time
goes on?  Would a wiki or some sort of collaborative online setup let
us all rough out the outlines of good specs?  I don't know.

Josh Bressers <josh(_at_)bress(_dot_)net> writes:
If there is interest, I think it would be worth starting a cleanup branch
in CVS, or an nmh-cleanup sub project (possibly not hosted on savannah).

While these are well-intentioned, my fear is that people do not have
the time to commit to these sorts of things. We might get a nice
architecture, but then run out of steam on the implementation. We
might get a really nice cleaned-up branch, but then run out of steam
leaving the branch orphaned.

I think the most pragmatic approach is to work on the trunk in small
bits checking your work with unit tests as I said before. Then if
people run out of steam, at least we have some working code.

--
Bill Wohler <wohler(_at_)newt(_dot_)com>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG
ID:610BD9AD