Re: [Nmh-workers] Another questionable piece of code

2005-05-17 22:43:12
On Sun, 15 May 2005 22:30:45 PDT, Jon Steinhart said:
So, ask per earlier messages, I'm looking at the context/profile
code and trying to clean it up as I make the changes that I need.

There's a pretty strange function called context_foil().  In all
but two of the places where it is called it is called with a NULL
argument so it does nothing except set the globals defpath and
context to "/dev/null", and none of these calling programs ever
reference these globals.

So it seems to me that these calls are bogus and can be removed.
Does anybody know the history of context_foil() and if so please
shed some light on what's going on here.

That's sounding like a fallback for "We've discovered a corrupted/odd
config, fall back to something sane".  Have you verified that the programs
that call it with NULL never make *other* use (quite possibly indirect,
via a library/utility function)?  Or are the globals defpath and context
truly "dead code" that's not *used* at all?