Re: [Nmh-workers] A question for the nmh historians

2005-05-19 14:18:40

--- On  Wed, 18 May 2005 07:25:54 -0700, Jon Steinhart wrote:
Jerry wrote:
I'm also confused about why you say
the MHCONTEXT machanism wasn't working properly when the other
user had cur as a public sequence.  All of my folders have cur
as a public sequence; changing MHCONTEXT hasn't been a problem. (?)

A primary reason to use MHCONTEXT is so that you can have mh programs
operate independently.
a public cur
sequence is stored in the .mh_profile, not in the context file.  So
it's impossible to completely break the context interaction.  The
folder will be independent but the message won't.

This seems like a bug, or at least something poorly thought out to
me.

Thanks for explaining, Jon.  I haven't given it a lot of thought before
now.  Neil pointed out that "Only the account that owns the particular
folder is allowed to update the public sequences, even though group
permissions should allow the other account to update."  Maybe those two
pieces are related in some way?  Any early MH hackers on the list --
John Romine, Marshall Rose, or anyone -- do you remember details?

BTW, I think you meant that a public cur sequence is stored in the
.mh_sequences, not the .mh_profile.  (If I remember right, though,
wasn't some sequence or context info originally stored in .mh_profile??
 If my memory is right about that, it's been a while!)

Jerry