Re: [Nmh-workers] A script for threading

2006-01-17 03:29:42
Joel Reicher wrote:
Exactly. I haven't tried to solve that problem, but to make it easier to
experiment with solutions. The output routine of the script can be
easily altered to sort the overall folder by a call to refile for each
message (which is very slow) or to create sequences (which would be quick).

The trouble with using sequences is that all the existing nmh programs
ignore order within sequences and just handle the messages in ascending
numerical order; this is pretty useless for threading and means we can't
just tweak sortm and pick. (Unless you want to maintain folders in thread
order, which would require enough intelligence in refile to insert new
messages without having to rethread the entire folder.)

I believe threading
should be done as dynamically as possible. It's not a computationally slow
procedure anyway. Linear in the number of messages, I think. The bottleneck
is in parsing all the messages for their headers.

Agreed.

-- PMM