Re: [Nmh-workers] suppress Content-ID's with new mhbuild option? [really more on design philosophy]

2006-02-01 23:19:17
Joel wrote:
Perhaps you should create a new utility that writes build directives
and works both interactively and non-interactively, depending on the
command line options? If it is able to write both directives and
attachment headers, whatnow can use it for a *really* versatile way to
attach stuff, and it could also be used from many UNIX editors with
a shell.

Well, I have no need for such a utility which is why I haven't written
one.  What I needed was a way to add attachments that could be used by
non-geeks because I live with some.  The code that wrote for this
several years ago accomplished this, and I have gotten good feedback
from people who I don't know who have discovered and used this code.

This thread is the first that I've heard that people had other needs.
Those needs are great, and feel free to contribute code that meets 'em.
Write that utility.  Just do it in a way that doesn't break the existing
stuff that is working for current users.

Not breaking existing stuff was one of the things that I thought a lot
about when writing the attachment handling code.  That's why it's off
by default, and the name of the attachment header field is specified by
an option instead of being hard-wired to something that might conflict
with one that somebody else might be using.

So again, feel free to contribute mime editors and builders and all of
that sort of stuff.  If you need it, that's a good enough reason to do
it; hopefully others will use it too.  Just don't break the existing
stuff from the user perspective.  People are using it and are used to it.

Don't misunderstand me. While I don't need such stuff either, the purpose
of my suggestion was to keep the existing tools simple. I'm not a fan
of creeping features, and would like this stuff split off into a separate
tool past a certain point.

Cheers,

        - Joel