Re: [Nmh-workers] Patches for FreeBSD port of nmh-1.2

2006-03-04 09:30:40
On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 04:34:51PM +0000, pmaydell@chiark.greenend.org.uk wrote:
Scott Blachowicz wrote:
I've recently updated the "port" in the FreeBSD ports collection to
nmh-1.2 and there were a couple of patches I needed to do in order to
get it to build cleanly. I figured I would send them here to see if
they're already dealt with in the source tree or if others have already
seen them.

Yes, we found out just after releasing 1.2 that it didn't configure
properly on the BSDs. Fixes are in CVS; if you felt like confirming
that current head of CVS works on BSD that would be nice. I have
tested it but only as a check that it builds...

I'll try...but I just got back to work after a week off and am drowning
in unread email and a release due out this week...:)

etc/Makefile.in - use $(INSTALL_SCRIPT) to install the scripts instead
   of $(INSTALL_PROGRAM) so it doesn't try to run 'strip' on the
   installed scripts (which fails, btw).

...which would explain why I didn't notice this. However, I don't
understand why your suggested patch would make any difference.
According to the documentation of AC_PROG_INSTALL, configure should
set both INSTALL_SCRIPT and INSTALL_PROGRAM to the same thing
(ie /usr/bin/install or similar). Checking the configure script
itself confirms this. So it shouldn't be trying to run strip on
either the binaries or the scripts.

Indeed, testing on my Linux system, we run install (without any
'-s' argument) and it doesn't try to run strip on anything.

In my case, I was seeing a '-s' argument in INSTALL_PROGRAM, but
not in INSTALL_SCRIPT...so that's why I made the patch I did (and,
I assumed, the reason for the distinction between INSTALL_PROGRAM &
INSTALL_SCRIPT).

So I think this needs more investigation before we consider
applying that bit of the patch. (The other parts are already
covered by existing changes in CVS.)

Sure...I'll try to do a little more checking.

Thanx,
--
Scott