Re: [Nmh-workers] Patches for FreeBSD port of nmh-1.2

2006-03-04 22:00:59
"K Suominen" wrote:
On 2/27/06, Scott Blachowicz <Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org> wrote:
pmaydell@chiark.greenend.org.uk wrote:
etc/Makefile.in - use $(INSTALL_SCRIPT) to install the scripts instead
   of $(INSTALL_PROGRAM) so it doesn't try to run 'strip' on the
   installed scripts (which fails, btw).

Indeed, testing on my Linux system, we run install (without any
'-s' argument) and it doesn't try to run strip on anything.

In my case, I was seeing a '-s' argument in INSTALL_PROGRAM, but
not in INSTALL_SCRIPT...so that's why I made the patch I did (and,
I assumed, the reason for the distinction between INSTALL_PROGRAM &
INSTALL_SCRIPT).

That would typically be the difference between the two on systems that have
a (BSD-compatible) install command.  (Other systems may use cpset etc.)

Mmm, google seems to suggest that this is right. It looks like the
BSDs somehow manage to set INSTALL_PROGRAM to do stripping. Anyway,
I've applied your patch (more or less) to CVS.

-- PMM