[Nmh-workers] Re: Refactoring the nmh source

2006-04-11 10:51:21
Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org> writes:

I have three questions for the list. Firstly, are there any objections to
the basic idea of doing this?

I haven't mucked enough with the code to form a first opinion, but
from what I've read here, it is in need.

Secondly, do you want a new branch for this work? I'm hoping the answer
to this question is "no", partly because I'm aiming for the refactoring to
be modest/trivial to begin with.

Since I'm not actively developing nmh (MH-E and Emacs keeps me busy
enough ;-), I'm not sure how much work this might impact, but it would
certainly be easier, especially with CVS, to keep the work on the
trunk.

Lastly, what's the policy with commits and ChangeLog? I'd prefer to do
frequent and small commits, but that may annoy some people. I also wouldn't
put most of what I'm planning to do into the ChangeLog.

I heavily use ChangeLogs to see what and when changes were made to
functions and variables and their relationships to other functions and
variables. I therefore never use wildcards and mention every function
and variable names, even when touching hundreds of them, since a grep
would miss those changes.

I use Emacs to add ChangeLog comments easily, and then use those
comments for CVS check-ins (automatically via Emacs per PMM's
observation) so that the CVS logs are useful as well.

However, since "svn -v log" gives you the equivalent of the ChangeLog
file, I've stopped creating ChangeLog files in Subversion
environments. However, I still haven't implemented the ChangeLog
commands for automatically creating Subversion log entries so creating
log entries is more manual than I'd like.

To summarize my 2cents: as long as we're using CVS, put gory detail in
the ChangeLog. When we switch to Subversion, put the gory detail in
the check-in log, and maybe include a ChangeLog in the releases which
has been generated automatically for the benefit of people who don't
have Subversion.

And thanks!