[Nmh-workers] Sieve

2007-04-07 14:28:59
I just posted the following to the mh-e-users group:

  So I've been under a rock.

  I glanced through the Internet Drafts for the first time in years
  (decades actually), and noticed several quite a lot of draft activity
  related to Sieve. I had seen "Sieve" mentioned here and there, but
  didn't realize what it was.

  It's been around for a while: Showalter, T., "Sieve: A Mail Filtering
  Language", RFC 3028, January 2001. The current draft to replace this RFC
  is: http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sieve-3028bis-12.txt.

  I see there's even several Debian libraries related to Sieve.

  `M-x apropos' returns a few hits (sieve-mode, gnus-sieve).

  After reading the spec, it strikes me that there really isn't any use
  for MH-E support since Sieve would have already been used before mail
  got into your MH folders. From our MH point of view, it seems that it is
  merely a standard way of expressing the languages already present in
  .maildelivery (slocal) and .procmailrc (procmail) files. Thoughts?

  Do any of you have any experience with Sieve? Do you know of or use any
  implementations? Are there plans to convert slocal or procmail to use
  it? And finally, do you have any thoughts on how MH-E could use it, or
  would you agree with my hunch that it is used earlier on in the mail
  delivery chain?

I was curious if any of you folks were thinking about a Sieve
implementation, perhaps replacing slocal's little language with a
standard language offered by Sieve.