Re: [Nmh-workers] acconfig.h

2008-04-11 09:13:09
Oliver Kiddle wrote:
It'd be good to get acconfig.h cleared out because it is an obsolete
autoconf feature (and autoheader keeps complaining about it).

Mmm. Question: do we want to try to get 1.3 done first?

I've just committed a change that strips out many of the variables.
These are all those that are handled by autoconf tests and the change
basically involves using AH_TEMPLATE or a 3rd argument to AC_DEFINE to put
a description in.

Seems reasonable. (I see we already require 2.5x autoconf, so that's
not a problem.)

ATTVIBUG is a similar case except that the default is the opposite.

This used to be checked for by a configure test but I removed that
as it was broken (in concept).

DBMPWD seems harmless and could be replaced
by autoconf tests for getpwent if really necessary.

Er, even if DBMPWD is not defined, the code still uses getpwent().
It's not very clear to me what the option is actually supposed to be doing.

FIX_NON_Y2K_COMPLIANT_MUA_DATES is still useful with old mail archives

In head of CVS it doesn't seem to be used at all...

I can sort of see why LOCKDIR, POPSERVICE, DEFAULT_FOLDER_MODE,
DEFAULT_MESSAGE_MODE and LINK are there as configurable but would anyone
change them these days? I'm also not sure about DUMB and REALLYDUMB.

Bear in mind that if all you want to do is have autoconf stop complaining
then some of these obscure config options can be left as #defines and
just put in a different header file.

-- PMM