[Nmh-workers] acconfig.h

2008-04-11 08:45:52
It'd be good to get acconfig.h cleared out because it is an obsolete
autoconf feature (and autoheader keeps complaining about it).

Does anyone still tweak any of the options in acconfig.h? We can either
add configure options, remove the macro and hardcode one behaviour,
leave the macros but use AC_DEFINE to define them instead of acconfig.h
or make the options configurable at runtime.

I've just committed a change that strips out many of the variables.
These are all those that are handled by autoconf tests and the change
basically involves using AH_TEMPLATE or a 3rd argument to AC_DEFINE to put
a description in.

Of the remaining macros, I think the following could just be removed
(and treated as enabled by default):
DBMPWD, FIX_NON_Y2K_COMPLIANT_MUA_DATES, MHRC, RPATHS ATTVIBUG is a
similar case except that the default is the opposite. Does anyone still
encounter that vi bug? DBMPWD seems harmless and could be replaced
by autoconf tests for getpwent if really necessary. MHRC enables what
seems a useful and harmless feature, FIX_NON_Y2K_COMPLIANT_MUA_DATES,
is still useful with old mail archives and is unlikely to bother anyone
until similar bugs occur in 2100. RPATHS also seems to just enable a
useful and harmless feature.

BUILTIN_FTP is the one that perhaps should be a configure option. Maybe
we should add support for linking against an alternative such as libcurl
too?

I can sort of see why LOCKDIR, POPSERVICE, DEFAULT_FOLDER_MODE,
DEFAULT_MESSAGE_MODE and LINK are there as configurable but would anyone
change them these days? I'm also not sure about DUMB and REALLYDUMB.

Any thoughts on any of these?

Oliver