Re: [Nmh-workers] content type syntax?

2008-05-08 04:44:46
According to RFC 2045, it's not legal syntax, because a
(non-quoted) token cannot contain spaces:

     content := "Content-Type" ":" type "/" subtype
                *(";" parameter)
                ; Matching of media type and subtype
                ; is ALWAYS case-insensitive.

     parameter := attribute "=" value

     attribute := token
                  ; Matching of attributes
                  ; is ALWAYS case-insensitive.

     value := token / quoted-string

     token := 1*<any (US-ASCII) CHAR except SPACE, CTLs,
                 or tspecials>

I don't know of a good way to get mhshow to handle it.  If
you want to hack the source, it looks like line 789 of
uip/mhparse.c is the place:

            for (cp = dp, dp = vp; istoken (*cp); cp++, dp++)

I don't see how allowing spaces in the token could hurt, if
we want to consider a permanent hack.

David

Paul writes:

can someone tell me whether this is legal syntax for
a Content-Type field?

 > --Apple-Mail-21--97781285
 >         filename="Low Cost Laptop.pdf"

the issue, unsurprisingly, is the lack of quotes on the "name="
field.  i have the following rule in .mh_profile, which catches
otherwise unhandled application types and lets me save the file:

    mhshow-show-application: fallback_save '%f' '%a'

when invoked, the fallback_save script is getting the string:

    'x-unix-mode="0644" name="Low"'

(without the single quotes) as its second argument.

so -- who's at fault, and if it's apple mail, is there a way
to make mhshow handle this better?