Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh over sshfs?

2008-10-18 13:36:06

 > > I'm hoping to run (exmh over) nmh over sshfs, but it doesn't work
 > > because 1) sshfs doesn't implement link()...
 > >

 > When I ran Evolution a few years ago and told it about my MH message
 > tree, it went through the tree and broke all of my message links.
 > Because I like the ability to have a message appear in all of the
 > folders where it might belong, I haven't used Evolution since.  (I also
 > filed a bug report, but I haven't checked whether anyone was able to fix
 > it -- or did.)
 >
 > Still, for compatibility with non-*nix filesystems, would it makes sense
 > for nmh to have a "no-links" configuration option?  I haven't looked at
 > the code to see how possible that might be... just an idea.

Interesting idea.  A one line hack made scan and show work over sshfs,
so I might do the work.

Is there a regres/test suite/document for nmh???

FWIW: I just "audited" the link() calls w/ grep.  With my previous
patch, "CFLAGS=-DHAVE_LSTAT=0" and "|| linkerr == ENOSYS" added to
line 182 of folder_addmsg.c, I now have a nmh build that (essentially)
never calls link().  (There are still calls to link() in send.c and
whatnowsbr.c, but they are used by dist which I don't use.)

Running it over sshfs is of course a bit slower than just using ssh,
but it allows me to run exmh (over broadband) faster.

off to convince sendmail to relay via SMTP-AUTH over port 587...
steve