Re: [Nmh-workers] Sent draft filenames

2009-05-16 13:53:27
Peter Maydell wrote:
The backup prefix is a compile time option (configure --with-hash-backup
will make it use '#' rather than ','; for anything more complicated you
probably need to modify the sources).

For people can't compile and configure nmh -- maybe because they install it from a pre-compiled package -- I wonder if this should be different. I can't even guess how many people use nmh on systems with more than one user, where software is installed and maintained by an administrator instead of the user... though it can't be near as many as when I started using MH. Still, people could have good reasons to choose a different prefix -- including prefixes that have more than one character, like Jerrad's ".#".

Would it be reasonable to let users set the backup prefix in their .mh_profile files? Any security or other problems I'm not thinking of? I guess that "/" shouldn't be allowed in the prefix... and probably not whitespace or newline (because that'd be tricky to parse in the .mh_profile). Comments, anyone?

Jerry