Re: [Nmh-workers] imap with fuse

2009-10-09 19:22:05
2009/10/9 Oliver Kiddle <okiddle(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>:
David Keijser wrote:
So I decided to try to do something about it and the result of a few
evenings hacking is a fuse filesystem for mounting imap mailboxes. It's
not fully functional yet but it's possible to scan for mail and move
messages and directories around with mv.

I couldn't try it because it appears that the Python that comes with
Debian is still too old. Also, my one IMAP account relies on SSL so I
think I'd need to set up SSL tunnel or something. However, I definitely
will try it later.
It's working with ssl, in fact it's only working with ssl. but in
theory it should
just be a matter of calling IMAP4 instead of IMAP4_SSL. This should be
configurable
but I have not had any need for it myself.

For what it's worth, I think this is definitely the right approach
for getting IMAP to work with MH. It avoids cluttering the rest of
the MH code and solves the issue of allowing the IMAP connection to be
maintained. Also, FUSE has now been ported elsewhere so it mightn't be
to much of a Linux specific solution in the long term.
Didn't know that, but turns out there is even a MacFUSE project :)

Oliver