Re: [Nmh-workers] can we just use ...

2010-11-14 13:24:42
Lyndon wrote:

In the cleanup I'm doing I'm getting rid of the wrapper functions
that exist only to contain OS portability issues.  That's much
smaller subset of the original list that was posted.

Mike wrote:

# frankly, in large systems i've written, NO code
# outside a very limited library was allowed to
# do anything that looked or smelled like it
# would result in a system call. (this specifically
# includes storage allocation, too)  that has saved
# many, many man-hours porting code or re-purposing it.
# it also makes for self-contained debugging which
# doesn't rely upon having a working debugger on
# a new platform (or one you can't use - same thing).

I prefer the latter.  The cost is pretty much nil and
the benefits can be significant, and recurring.

David