Re: [Nmh-workers] character sets and localization

2010-11-15 17:58:14
Is there an alternative out there to the GNU iconv implementation?
It's not exactly the most portable piece of code to non-linux hosts.
(E.g.  I've been fighting with it on MacOS recently.)

Some other systems, e.g. Solaris, come with their own iconv. It's often
better to use these instead of GNU libiconv in part because they are
more likely to make sense of whatever nl_langinfo(CODESET) outputs (this
is quite variable in the case of plain ASCII). I'm not sure whether GNU
libiconv is the same thing as the glibc one. I've also got no idea about
what Mac OS comes with.

On my MacOS X system ...

% grep LIBICONV_VERSION /usr/include/iconv.h
#define _LIBICONV_VERSION 0x010B    /* version number: (major<<8) + minor */

So at least on newer MacOS X systems, no porting of iconv is required.