Re: [Nmh-workers] Understanding nmh (aka. What's the goal)

2010-12-02 09:12:45
as usual, Robert is the voice of rational pragmatism.

nothing done with Yacc will last until the water gets hot -
it looks too closely to tolerate nasty, external reality.

however, i do note the following paper holds out the tantalizing
prospect of efficient *and* (relatively) comprehensible descriptions of
highly, if not rigorously, strutured text objects.

                http://arxiv.org/abs/1010.5023

as for MH, i still use MH as my mail repository and *tolerate*
the UW-IMAP server's attempt to use it as well. I do this because
while i read a lot of mail using Thunderbird, no "sealed" mail
UA has the kind of flexibility to find things when you grossly
misfiled them (for instance).  in the spirit of "lively discussion",
what about

        Do an MH-like plug-in for Tbird/Mozilla/etc ?

all the machinery that's nasty corner cases is there inside Tbird -
what MH provides is a way to orchestrate it in ways other than
the pre-ordained "work flows" built into the code. that might end
up being *more* useful given the somewhat awkward machinations
required to build complex shell-based code with MH.

this would extend the useful life of the MH world-view and expose
it to a lot more people without them having to join
The First Church of the Sanctified Shell Script.

think of it as "schoolyard samples" if nothing else.

        -mo