Re: [Nmh-workers] non-ASCII message bodies

2010-12-16 12:00:02
I gotta say that I'm stunned by the amount of activity (and unnecessary
vitriol) on this topic.  Where were you guys when I was begging for feedback
before I committed the changes a decade ago?

Well Jon, please accept my apologies.  I should have commented about it,
but I didn't.

I think part of the problem was that back then MIME messages weren't as
common as they are now; you'd run into them now and then, but it wasn't
the norm as it is now.  So we didn't understand that what seemed like
a simple decision then would affect things later on.

I personally don't care whether or not non-ASCII message bodies are
octet-stream
or MIMEd.  I'm certainly willing to go along with the consensus here.  But it
seems like every time things get close to consensus somebody chimes in who uses
it the way that it is.

I think the model we should strive for is one from the IETF, that is namely
"rough consensus".  That means that a large number of people should agree,
but it doesn't have to be unanimous.  But it's tough in a open-source project,
because (as I talked about before) no one person is in charge to make
the call.

For this reason, I still prefer that changing the behavior be done with an
option.
Is it possible to come to agreement on this and move forward?

I personally think we have consensus on this should be changed, and the
new behavior should be the default; do other agree?