Re: [Nmh-workers] Installing nmh on RedHat 6

2011-12-05 19:36:45
norm(_at_)dad(_dot_)org wrote:
Could somebody please tell me how I can install the current version of nmh on
RedHat 6.1? Is there on rpm somewhere?

What I usually do is try to find the .spec file from Fedora and build an
rpm using that.

For my day job I've had to make some spec files for packages; it occurs to
me that we should try to do better.  Specifically, we should include a spec
file with nmh so you can simply do "make rpm" (after configure).

I'd be up for doing this, but with one huge caveat: only if we throw
out all of the current Makefiles and use Automake instead.  Given Automake's
current support for subdirectories, we could ditch the use of recursive
make, which in my mind is a pretty big win.

I know some people don't like Automake; I was neutral about it,
until I had to use it.  I admit that I've grown to like it; it saves
me time and provides a number of useful features.  I'm interested
in hearing people's thoughts about Automake, but I will be honest:
in this instance I hold the opinion of nmh developers much higher
than of non-developers.  If all you do is run configure and make, then
a move to Automake shouldn't impact you (if it does, then that's a bug
and we will work on fixing that).

So ... thoughts?