Re: [Nmh-workers] Minimum autoconf version required to compile nmh

2012-01-13 10:09:07
On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 8:24 AM, Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>
wrote:
Apparently, CentOS 5.7 version of autoconf is older than
what the nmh build process says is required.  CentOS 5.7
provides autoconfig 2.59 but nmh is configured to require
2.61 and later.

I just looked ... and autoconf 2.59 was released in 2003, autoconf
2.61 was released in 2006.  Yikes, I think CentOS is a bit behind
here :-)

CentOS is just repackaged RHEL, so Redhat can be pretty far
behind in the versions of tools.

I always have a bit of a problem deciding about using a new autoconf
feature or macro ... it's not easy to tell when something was added.
I wish the autoconf manual told you the version when each feature
was added.

I checked the change log file.  Not sure how robust the change log
is for the autoconf project, but that may be the only place to
see what was done.  It did mention that the macro I did get an
error for was added to 2.60.

This will not be the first time I've had to download various
tools and install from source due to the age of the versions
that are pre-provided by a linux distro.

--ewh