Re: [Nmh-workers] The curse of m_getfld()

2012-01-26 20:19:38
Wow.  What's the coder equivalent of the Purple Heart?  Extreme
bravery in the case of old crusty code.  Rescuing their comrades
from vestiges of the VAX.

While I'm too busy to participate in the current effort, m_getfld.c
has been the thing that's kept me from implementing the attachment
changes that I talked about years ago.  So it would be really nice
to have it do what I want if it's rewritten.

For those of you who are new or old and have forgotten, I'd like to
add options to nmh where the parts of multi-part messages are treated
like sub-messages.  I'd like scan to be able to show message 123, 123.1
123.2, ... if message 123 has multiple parts with something sensible
in the scan line.  I'd like to have -part options to show/next/prev
to show the current/next/previous part and to keep track of the current
part.  Also an option to move on to the next/previous message.

I've forgotten what little I knew about getfld so I don't know what to
suggest to make this work.  Probably the optional ability to scan the
entire message to pull out parts.

Note that if this all ever gets done it should eliminate mhlist and
mhshow.

Anyway, please go for it.  I should free up in a few months and would
be glad to build on the result.

Jon