Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.5 release and better repl/MIME handling

2012-04-02 03:32:31
Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:

No, and I didn’t realise it myself! I read this mailing list
through gmane using gnus, so quite what happens to utf-8 is a bit of
a mystery. In fact, by the time your follow-up got back to me the
apostrophe had turned back into an apostrophe.  (There’s also ó in my
name, which means this must be happening to all my messages. I don’t
put it in the From: line to avoid having that mime encoded, which some
news readers [used to?] mangle)

Well, if I run the replied message through mhn it automagically figures out
that the charset is UTF-8 and encodes everything with quoted-printable
(I assume it's getting the correct charset through my locale).  So maybe
all I need to do is make sure my script converts all of the text it gets
into the locale character set?

The current locale? Unless the locale is a Unicode one, don’t
you risk mangling characters that aren’t in the locale’s
charset?

--
Jón Fairbairn
Jon(_dot_)Fairbairn(_at_)cl(_dot_)cam(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk