Re: [Nmh-workers] Anyone know of an UTF-8-compatible text formatter?

2012-04-07 08:23:44
Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:
As I've said in previous messages, I've been working on the "replyfilter"
Perl script to improve the functionality of replying to MIME messages.  So
far I am pretty happy with the results (check out the latest version if
you're interested, it's in $(srcdir)/docs/contrib/replyfilter), but I
have run into one annoying wrinkle.

Right now the script uses "par" to format long text in the reply
message.  But I have discovered that in some cases par mangles the
output when dealing with UTF-8.  Specifically, if the to-be-quoted
text contains a non-breaking space (U+00A0) that is encoded in UTF-8
as 0xc2 0xa0, and I guess that par sees the 0xa0 as a space and
replaces it with a 0x20, which results in an invalid UTF-8 sequence.
So far that's the only problem I've run into; other UTF-8 sequences work
fine.

This patch included in the FreeBSD ports system seems to fix the problem:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/textproc/par/files/patch-par.c

(I use par a lot with utf-8 and didn't have any problems)

//Marcin