Re: [Nmh-workers] Revert utmpx change?

2012-04-24 09:14:00
When I was upgrading the OpenBSD nmh package from 1.4 to 1.5rc1, the build
errored out, because OpenBSD does not have utmpx.h. Speaking with other
devs implies that this is unlikely to ever be supported on OpenBSD.

Seriously?  What the hell?

utmpx is part of POSIX; utmp is not.  There was a strong push for POSIX
compatibility last year and in a brief survey I found that everyone I
looked at had utmpx support.  I guess I missed OpenBSD.  Googling
"utmpx OpenBSD" ... yeah, okay, I guess I don't need to say anything more.

Reverting 7ba29497ff3f164e2a507eda35e81f1cb0658c74 lets nmh build again
on OpenBSD. Can this change be applied?

I am reluctant to bring this code back, as it was messy.  But ... let me
offer a compromise.  The code is only needed by rcvtty (will output a message
to your terminal) and slocal (actually, looking at slocal ... that usage
seems to be undocumented; anyone know what the deal is with that?).  I
suspect you don't use those features.  Would you be happy with code that
just disabled that support on OpenBSD?