[Nmh-workers] send -sasl and -user

2012-05-12 23:22:04
So we had our local mail service that accepted STARTTLS on port 587,
so in .mh_profile I had:

send: -nomime -msgid -server auth.smtp.vt.edu -port 587 -tls -sasl

and in .netrc I had:

machine auth.smtp.vt.edu login valdis password dream-on-not-what-it-really-is

and it Just Worked.

We're starting a transition to Google Apps, and I got selected as a crash test
dummy.

So I fix .mh_profile to have '-server smtp.gmail.com' instead, and add to
.netrc:

machine auth.smtp.vt.edu login valdis password dream-on-not-really
machine smtp.gmail.com login valdis(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu password
dream-on-not-really

and gmail wouldn't take it.  Near as my testing shows, when send/post go to
read .netrc, it doesn't use the '-server' value to look up 'machine' and then
pick up the login/password fields - once I added '-user
valdis(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu', it
was then able to find the right line in .netrc and it started working.

This is probably a bug, because it's quite possible that somebody could have
the same 'userid' on multiple mail servers, but different passwords - so you
really want to look up by machine, not login. (Heck, if our internal people had
done things differently, it would have been 'login valdis(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu' on
both
SMTP servers, with different passwords...).