Re: [Nmh-workers] mime-aware filtering?

2012-06-27 03:46:00
On 2012-06-26 06:30, Paul Vixie wrote:
On 2012-06-26 3:19 AM, Jerrad Pierce wrote:
> Sorry for the premature reply.
>
> I see now that Paul did understand my idea.
> I can underatd that some might not want duplicate
> content, but that's what I proposed it be optional.
> A temporary cache does not allow for indexing.

i'm ok with that. disk space is cheap. the index can keep copies of the
content. the mh hook system can keep them in synch. unless you have
multiple terabytes of stored e-mail you'll never feel the cost of the
second copy.

> Keeping it in Mail means you have whichever
> decoded messages you want greppable/indexable;
> be it done to all on inc, or manually for a select
> few. Then, when you remove them message, the parts
> get automagically wiped out by rmm.

i don't see how to support indexing on a read-only mail store if we're
interleaving the files. while bboards may be long gone usenet is still
out there, and imap too.
If we allow ourselves to touch the 822 part, we could annotate
it with a pointer (URL?) to the unrolled data. It would allow the
refile to continue to work unconstrained, and generally disconnect
the two sets nicely.

-Anders
paul