Re: [Nmh-workers] merge spost into post

2012-07-08 23:42:03
Ken wrote:

  Maybe "sendmail/smtp" and "sendmail/pipe"?  With just
  "sendmail" meaning "sendmail/smtp"?  To me that's a
  little clearer.

I like those.  I just had some quality airplane time and was
able to wrap up the addition of "pipe".  It's committed.  I
got your message after, I'll change the names this week.
spost is still there so nothing should be broken.

- It occurs to me that some of these things should be
  overrideable via mh_profile (like the path to sendmail).
  Just saying :-)

And an -mts command line option would help with the
migration away from spost, which could then just exec "post
-mts sendmail/pipe".

- It should be made clear in the man pages that in the
  "pipe" or "sendmail/pipe" case that it's impossible to
  set the envelope-from address.

Is what's already in the send(1) man page sufficient, starting
with "When using SMTP for mail submission?"

- Are we going to have some notification at runtime for
  those people who put "spost" in their postproc a couple
  of decades ago for some long-forgotten reason? :-)

That could go in the neutered spost, just before it execs
post.

David