Re: [Nmh-workers] Message-IDs and Content-IDs

2012-07-19 19:26:39
That was mine, and no it doesn't have /dev/random.  But, as I said
earlier, I'd prefer to opt-out of this whole cryptographic host part
concept anyway.

It's not cryptographic, it's just a case of trying to achieve uniqueness without too much effort. The world won't end if message-ids collide.

And don't get too caught up with local vs. host parts of message-id strings. The idea of <mumble@host> was an inexpensive way to generate a unique qualifier for the entropy, back when entropy was expensive. Today, entropy is cheap, so any opaque random string works fine. The only reason we keep the '@' requirement is for compatibility with software written to previous versions of the *822 specifications.

--lyndon