Re: [Nmh-workers] ;-style aliases?

2012-10-12 23:34:33
On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 15:33:11 -0500, David Levine said:

I looked at EXMH and MH-E and didn't find any uses of them.
EXMH has this TODO item:

    Provide support for editing "named" lists in aliases

but I'm not sure if that's the same thing.

Wow.  I'm not sure either. That exmh.TODO hasn't been updated
since 2002, so it's quote possible that nobody on the planet still
remembers what that entry is about.  It's probably about the exmh
GUI to edit the .mh_alias.

However, actually digging into lib/aliases.tcl, we find that the line that
does the parsing is actually:

                regexp {([^;:]+)([:;])(.*)} $line match key sep other

which accepts both ; and : as the separator.  The rest of the code
seems to track the value of 'sep' as the separator field.  And a quick
test seems to indicate that if ";" is used, it behaves well.

What the current GUI *can't* seem to do is add an entirely new entry
that uses ";" as the separator.