Re: [Nmh-workers] re repl'ing to msgs with utf-8 From & Subject

2012-10-25 09:41:24

Does someone have a recipe for decoding utf-8 From and Subject when doing
repl?
(They look something like From: "=?utf-8?...=?=".)

Looks like neither the standard replcomps form nor a filter with...

from:nocomponent,formatfield="From: %(putstr{text})":

%decode() ought to do the right thing (it's used in the shipped scan
format) ... but you don't want to do that.

We can't (yet) ENCODE RFC2047 headers.  So if we decode a From: or Subject:
with non-ASCII characters, we're kinda stuck because we'll be sending out
something that's invalid according to the RFCs.  Right now leaving the
encoded headers intact is probably our best bet; that way capapable mailers
can still understand them.

Okay, I agree about the headers, but how exactly does one get %decode() to
work in a filter for the replied text??  I just tried...

 from:nocomponent,formatfield="From: %decode()":
 from:nocomponent,formatfield="From: %decode(%(putstr{text}))":

which result in...

 mhl: "From: %d": format compile error - component or function name expected
 mhl:         ^

steve
---