Re: [Nmh-workers] re repl'ing to msgs with utf-8 From & Subject

2012-10-25 13:33:28

Well, on second thought I don't exactly agree: 1) in reality I often modify
the
Subject:, which I can't do if they are encoded, 2) I'm guessing down on the
farm almost all mail bits (MTAs and MUAs) will correctly handle plain
Subject:
headers with raw UTF-8, and 3) down on my farm msgs with RFC2047 headers
actually decode to plain text ASCII--they are only RFC2047 encoded because
some
Verizon smart phone MUA (or perhaps the email.com MTA) insist on it.

You really modify subject headers that often?  I can say that I almost
never do that.  Actually, scratch that ... I NEVER do that.

Alas I get a lot of sorta important emails from someone who insists on using a
meaningless Subject.  I change them to something meaningful so inspecting the
msgs with "scan" is meaningful.

I would not be so sure about 2) ... I know that Cyrus IMAP used to reject
mail messages with headers that contained non-ASCII characters.  And to
me the biggest problem is the encoding contains the only place where the
character set is listed.  The only times I've seen "bare" UTF-8 is in
spam messages.  Maybe it works fine, but at the very least you're going
to have character set issues.

This is probably a digression, but FWIW I'm pretty sure raw the UTF-8
non-breaking space (0xa0) and various raw windows-1252 character encodings
(e.g. 0x2e for full stop) are somehow fairly common.

So I'd like to intelligently decode the Subject: (not duplicate Re:).  Is
that
possible?  Using...

Subject %<(decode{subject})Re: %(decode{subject})%>

Errr ... it doesn't?  Seems to me like it should.  Well, maybe you shouldn't
use %(decode{subject}) as the test ... but it looks like to me that that
should work, and I tested it with "ap" and it seemed to do the right thing.
And I even tested it in my replcomps and it worked, although the key line
in my replcomps looks like this:

%<{subject}Subject: Re: %(decode{subject})\n%>\

What happens when you try to use it?

Bingo!  Thanks.

steve