Re: [Nmh-workers] mh-v

2012-11-10 06:24:27
Hi steve,

When I'm running MH-V on localhost's display, I then do 'v' to have
MH-V execute "mhstore" to save the image attachment and do e.g.
"firefox -browser file:///home/rader/.mh_cache/23.2.jpeg &" to bring
it up in my browser.

Is -browser needed?

When I'm remote and have fast X11 forwarding, I do 'v', and MH-V sees
I have the SSH_CLIENT env var set, and it thus does "firefox -browser
http://some.domain.name/~rader/mh_cache/23.2.jpeg &" (because file:///
is not local/available.)

What's the difference between fast and slow X11 forwarding?

I'd expect that remote Firefox to see a local Firefox is running (thanks
to X properties on its windows) and have the local one open the URL?

Have you considered having the remote Firefox open a
http://localhost:4242/23/2.jpeg URL which the local one opens on its
behalf, and port 4242 is forwarded securely over SSH, thanks to
~/.ssh/config, from the local machine to mh-v listening on the remote
machine where it responds to the HTTP request?  It would avoid needing a
HTTP server on remote that's listening on a public interface.

Cheers, Ralph.