Re: [Nmh-workers] mh-v

2012-11-10 07:30:04

Playing around with my (poor ol?) Firefox 3.6.13 on SL54, it seems
that firefox -browser doesn't work right: it opens the URL in a tab
and opens a new window with the startup home page!  So I guess that
should change to just "firefox"?

Yep.  Or xdg-open(1).

Oh, right.  (xdg-open with SL5 is broken WRT $BROWSER, but that's not hard
to fix.)

 > What's the difference between fast and slow X11 forwarding?

...like fast ethernet or better vs 8Mbps cable broadband.

Ah, I thought it was a software matter.  :-)  That's one advantage of
the remote firefox spotting the local firefox already running on the X
server;  just a little X protocol over the slow encrypted link is needed
for the URL to be transferred to the local firefox and the remote one
quits.

A colour ASCII-art approximation that fills the screen may be another
option as often images aren't important and are just company logos in
signatures, etc.  A rough rendering may be sufficient to tell this.

Curious.  But my motivation is very low here: msgs are either 1) personal
with images where I want to view them for sure, or 2) business/commercial
where I'lll view the pretty text/html alternate when/if I really care.

steve
---