Re: [Nmh-workers] Ditch autoconf selection of pager?

2013-01-14 15:58:59
GNU's lame attempts at humour aside, that actually makes sense.  MH
is a line oriented tool, so defaulting to a line oriented editor is
consistent with that.  If the chain Editor: -> $VISUAL -> $EDITOR comes
up empty, ed is a perfectly reasonable default.

Ok, this means I get to ask a question of greybeards that I've always
wondered about.

What is the deal with VISUAL and EDITOR?  I always set EDITOR; I've never
set VISUAL.  I've never understood what the difference is.  I'm fine with
making the hierarchy Editor: -> $VISUAL -> $EDITOR (and I think a default
of 'vi' is fine), but I've always wondered why there are two environment
variables.