Re: [Nmh-workers] Dodgy $LINK in generated Makefile

2013-02-01 10:43:18

On 2013-02-01, at 8:32 AM, Ken Hornstein wrote:

Err ... are you sure?  -g is a classic example of something that should be
in there.

Generally that stuff goes into $DEBUG which is then included in CFLAGS and
LDFLAGS.

From reading the Autoconf manual, it suggests that while it's technically
for only the preprocessor pass flags that are only for the object compilation
phase can be placed in CPPFLAGS.  I was under the impression that since
CCLD is generally set to $(CC) the C compiler wrapper should ignore flags
that make no sense during linking.

Not when you have things like -Wa,foo, the -X family, and the like.  I've
always maintained a distinction between CFLAGS and LDFLAGS, using the latter
exclusively during the linking step.  It just seems cleaner to me to do it that
way.