Re: [Nmh-workers] Locking (specifically, sequences)

2013-03-08 09:41:10

On 2013-03-08, at 2:12 AM, Tethys wrote:

: flock()  does not lock files over NFS.  Use fcntl(2) instead: that does
: work over NFS, given a sufficiently  recent  version  of  Linux  and  a
: server which supports locking.

NFS is a bit of a no-mans land in this regard.  The is no consistency between
OSes as to what works over NFS[234].  Or CIFS, AFS, 9fs, or any number of other
networked filesystems.

POSIX says fcntl() is it, so we must support that.  But I'm not sure we can
guarantee that we don't do anything that will cause us to unintentionally lose
locks.  Making this sort of proof is tricky, and requires a lot of discipline
to maintain moving forward.  Having flock() as an alternative decreases the
potential for accidental lock lossage.  I very much want the option of using it
when it's available.  (And on the systems I use, flock() does work over NFS
mounts.)

--lyndon