Re: [Nmh-workers] Locking (specifically, sequences)

2013-03-10 21:11:12
Ken wrote:

AFAICT, if you reread the sequences file, that will solve that
problem.  I cannot think of a scenario when it does not; can
you think of one that doing that will fail?

Not off hand, but I can't get beyond "merge conflict".

Maybe you're thinking of it wrong.

We have message N.  For each sequence, there is 1 bit of
information:  is it on this sequence?

I think that answers it.  We're limited in what we can
do with that 1 bit, and the bits are independent.

Now think about nmh operations: do we ever get into a
situation where one command wants to add a message to a
sequence, and another command wants to _remove_ the same
message from the same sequence?  That's really the only
possible "merge conflict" we're talking about here.

Even that doesn't bother me.  All but the last command will
lose the race, which is what we always want.

David