Re: [Nmh-workers] Inability to cat a Message Part.

2013-04-28 10:03:53
Hi David,

Is some means of specifying type/subtype handling needed for the
command line instead of always being ~/.mh_profile?

There isn't.  I suppose we could add switches.  But it doesn't seem
like that would be much easier to use than an alternate mh_profile,
even if that was created on the fly.

I considered a temporary mh_profile but that's a bit icky too IMHO.

mhcat is easy enough to script for one's own purpose, using mhshore,
but it would seem more the Unix way to fit better in a pipeline.

Would an "-outfile filename" switch to mhstore be sufficient?  It
would support a filename of "-", of course.  If used with multiple
parts, the user would have to deal with the output, but maybe that
would be useful with mutiple log files or whatever.

It's a bit long-winded.  You've inspired me to have a bit of a play.
mhstore already accepts `-' for stdout in a mh_profile

    mhstore-store-application/x-gzip: -

entry.  I found if I made a mhcat that was a link to mhstore then that
could have its own distinct set of entries.

    mhcat-store-application/x-gzip: -

Further, since its raison d'être is to cat to stdout, the subtype isn't
needed so I just need one entry for each type.

    mhcat-store-application: -
    mhcat-store-text: -

Unfortunately, a type must be given, e.g.

    mhcat-store: -

doesn't seem to work.

One annoyance is mhstore/mhcat chucking `storing message 42 part 2 to
stdout' on stderr.  I've tried -noverbose mentioned in the manual but it
has no effect and is apparently the default anyway.  How does one shut
it up?

Cheers, Ralph.