Re: [Nmh-workers] switching from thunderbird to nmh

2013-09-20 13:27:53
Brenda wrote:

I'd like to switch to using nmh for email handling.  I've been using
thunderbird for the last few years.

Welcome to nmh!  My first suggestion would be to make sure
that you're using nmh 1.5.  Each of the nmh commands will
show the version using its -version switch.

Or if you'd like the latest and greatest source code (and
man pages, which have undergone significant cleanup recently):

    git clone git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/nmh.git

I understand the nmh mail format is a little different from mbox
format or maildir format.  Is there any conversion utility out
there?  I've searched but only found utilities for people going the
other way.

nmh can import messages from an mbox file or maildir
directory with its inc(1) command, e.g.,

    $ inc -file file.mbox

It can also export to an mbox, with its packf(1) command.

If someone has their own utility (or one-off script) for a similar
task in sh, perl or python I'm ok with adapting it for my situation.

Alternatively, a pointer to the documentation of what the nmh format
actually is would be helpful.  I haven't found a concise description
yet.

The mh-folders(5) man page has a description of the directory
and file structure used by nmh.

I'm already somewhat familiar with mbox format.

Also, I need nmh to get email by imap.  How can I configure that?
Or am I supposed to use fetchmail for that?

nmh does not support IMAP.  inc can use POP, if that helps.
I use fetchmail, and then procmail to feed to nmh's rcvstore(1).
Other users here do various other things, please ask if you
want more ideas.

Thanks for your help.

Glad to!

David