Re: [Nmh-workers] Slowdown with a Populated Folder.

2014-01-01 09:37:59
Hi David,

My rmmproc creates filenames like ,10139,1388316255.094920554 so as
more of those pile up, less entries fit in the 32KiB and more calls
to it are needed and there's more entries starting with `,' to be
skipped over.  Clearly, I need to switch to ',' + base254-encoding.
;-)

Or move the ',' files to a separate directory?  That would just delay
your problem, but maybe significantly?

Yes, that would be a good option, I agree.

Consequently, another mark is needed first, the one above, to detect
if the sequence exists.  A more useful interface would cut the
number of userspace commands that need to run, and thus the number
of getdents.

Or is there a way to deal gracefully with the error if sequece foo
doesn't exist?

Checking $? is 1 and stderr was just one line matching /^mark: no such
sequence as / is a bit of a pain.  I'm happy with Ken's alternative.

Cheers, Ralph.