Re: [Nmh-workers] Deprecating MM_CHARSET

2014-01-19 17:24:50
I am wondering if we can assume that nl_langinfo() exists on all
platforms that we care about.  It's part of POSIX.  I ask because if
it doesn't exist I'm not sure how we get the current character set.
My feeling is in this day and age we should assume it exists.

I would assume a locale of "C" in the absence of ml_langinfo().  That's
the default locale if there are no $LANG or $LC_* definitions in scope,
and the behaviour is intended to be backwards compatible with the
pre-locale UNIX behaviour.

So nl_langinfo(CODESET) returns "US-ASCII" if we're in the C locale.  That
seems ... sub-optimal, and wrong, if it doesn't exist.  Also, IS there a
platform we care about where nl_langinfo() doesn't exist?